Six easy steps to take on your “Go Green” journey
Across the globe, millions of people are practicing more eco-friendly activities in their daily routines. In fact, you may be one of them! Instead of throwing away those cardboard boxes and tin cans, you recycle them. And, you always turn off the lights when you leave a room. Even the smallest action can be a huge step forward for the environment.
Like you, Ceridian has been working towards environmental sustainability for years by reducing energy consumption, improving our technology solutions and embracing conservation. Some examples of Ceridian’s green solutions include direct deposit services, reloadable payroll cards, online W-2 services, self-service solutions and cloud-based workforce management and human capital management solutions. Specific steps we have taken as a company include:
- Making all educational materials available in digital format online
- Using fewer printers and reducing paper consumption
- Accommodating flexible work schedules and fine-tuning building systems to decrease utility consumption
We’ve also stepped up our recycling efforts and have enlisted our Fun@Work Coordinators to help. Throughout our locations, they have run recycling contests and other activities to ensure employees always think green.
Today is World Environment Day, so there’s no better time than right now to go green. And if you’re still not sure, these sobering statistics from a recent Time magazine report and the Department of Energy’s Buildings Data Book may just convince you:
- One office worker can use 10,000 pieces of copier paper in a year
- Commercial buildings account for 46 percent of building energy consumption in the U.S.
Listed below are some ways to get employees and employers involved:
6 tips for employers
- Start a sustainability committee. Add some fun by making it into an office-wide competition where the department that recycles the most wins!
- Encourage employees who can to carpool or ride their bikes to work and offer incentives to those who participate.
- Provide employees a company coffee cup to reduce disposable cup consumption.
- Make online documents readily accessible to reduce printing.
- Post signs to remind everyone to turn off lights, computers and other appliances.
- Use eco-friendly supplies for the office such as recycled paper.
A little effort along with a little fun will make a big difference in your green initiatives. Helping the environment helps everyone so get started today!
Karen Huss is Vice President of Corporate Relations at Ceridian.Follow her on Twitter @KarenHuss.