The intricacies of HR – from compliance to employee engagement to workforce management – do not make it easy to be an HR leader. To help ease this burden, Ceridian hosted an Executive Experience session at #CeridianINSIGHTS, offering attendees expert advice on how to survive and thrive in the ever-changing world of HR. Read more
By Paul Sandusky, Vice President of Talent Acquisition, Ceridian
I have been in Talent Acquisition for nearly two years now but have spent most of my twenty year career in enterprise software in operations running implementation, support, and development teams. So I know a thing or two about the importance of employee retention and now more than ever I understand Talent Acquisition’s role in helping companies keep their people long term. Read more
Workforce management is easier when the right team is in place, which means that hiring leaders should have processes and policies in place to ensure they’re choosing the right candidates.
Hiring the right employees is important for numerous reasons. Making calls like this is crucial. It affects morale, culture and productivity. Not to mention the cost of replacing any given employee can be significant. Josh Bersin, of Bersin by Deloitte, wrote about the various challenges that face employers who find themselves with high turnover rates. Read more
If you want to run a business that’s first-rate when it comes to human capital management, you’ll quickly learn that it requires being on top of countless little goals and tasks. HCM greatness is a combination of top-notch payroll processing, benefits administration, employee engagement strategies, retention tactics, corporate health and wellness and so on. You’re always busy, always working on something. It never ends. Read more
One of biggest benefits customers share when coming to #CeridianINSIGHTS is the opportunity to network, connect and learn from peers. This year was no different, and during one of the breakout sessions at #CeridianINSIGHTS, four Ceridian customers shared implementation best practices they’ve learned to help others ensure a maximum return on their investment.
On the panel were Mark Van Der Hulst, Operations Performance Analyst at Europ Assistance; Paul Landgraf, Director of HR Services at Guardian Industries Corp.; Debbie Harrison, HR Generalist at Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA; and Kevin Brennan, Project Manager at Sugar Creek Packing Co.
Challenges from the front lines
Customers like Europ Assistance, a travel insurance and assistance company, were piled under paper and daily emails prior to implementing Dayforce HCM. The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA faced manual work-arounds and inputing data into multiple systems. Others like Guardian Industries Corp. were challenged by operating more than 17 payroll systems across 19 countries.
Lessons learned to ensure a successful implementation
Each panelist gained significant perspective and lessons to share after completing their implementations. Below is a summary of their best advice for other customers going through an implementation:
- Communicate widely, early and often; gain involvement at all levels and ensure resource commitment
- Understand the project scope – recognize what needs to be done now and what can be done later
- Ensure that you have a central project manager; if you need to, hire a temporary consultant to help with this job
- First learn the system, and then configure it to your needs
- Know what you’re getting when you sign up, and make sure everyone on the project team is on the same page
- Test, test, test and continuously document what’s happening (or not happening) with screen shots
- Leverage the Ceridian Consulting Services team. Kevin Brennan from Sugar Creek found this to be so beneficial that he says, “If I were an executive at Ceridian, I wouldn’t let this be an optional process; it would be a requirement.” The Professional Services team at Ceridian helped Sugar Creek gain a better understanding of their current processes so they could make more strategic business decisions going forward.
Lastly, the panelists recommended connecting with other customers and peers by joining the Ceridian XOXO group. The benefit of networking and talking with people who are going through the same things you’re going through can save time and offer helpful support.